The country's premier hunting and fishing daily news
The Backcountry Outdoor News reports the latest hunting & fishing news along with fishing derbies & tournaments
© 2010 Backcountry Press Outdoor News - All Rights Reserved
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of The Backcountry Press Outdoor News
Montana Seeks Input on Proposed Hunting Regulations for 2018-19
Submitted by: Backcountry Press Outdoor News
Posted on: 12/21/17
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) is requesting public review and comment on proposed hunting regulations for 2018-2019.
Proposals address many topics and include seasons and quotas for Deer, Elk, Antelope/Moose/Sheep/Goat/Bison, Black Bear/Mountain Lion/Wolf, and Turkey/Upland Game Bird/Migratory Game Bird. There are also proposals dealing with hunting district (HD) Boundaries, season dates, the biennially adopted quota ranges for licenses and permits, exemptions to the ban on urine used in scents, and a 4-Day youth-only deer season, instead of the current 2-day, in years when MEA days do not immediately precede the opening of the general big game season.
Except for the proposed changes and regular calendar rotation, the 2017 regulations are being re-proposed for 2018 and 2019. For reference, the 2017 regulations are available on the FWP website: http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/. Additionally, 46 public meetings are scheduled at locations across Montana through much of January for the proposed 2018-2019 hunting seasons.
Some of the major changes being proposed include:
- Making the antelope 900-20 archery license a first and only choice with a separate earlier drawing.
- A citizen proposal to make a portion of HD 103 a limited-draw buck permit area.
- Adopt elk season structure for the 43 hunting districts that had shoulder seasons in 2016 on an annual basis rather than biennial to facilitate evaluation of their efficacy and revisiting their adoption on a 3-year cycle.
- In all hunting districts in Regions 1, 2 and 4 make it illegal to take a female mountain goat accompanying a kid or a female mountain goat in a group that contains one or more kids.
Information and opportunity to comment can be found on our website under “Opportunity for Public Comment” at fwp.mt.gov/hunting/. Public comments on these proposals will be accepted until January 24 at 5 p.m. with final adoption at the February Commission meeting. Read more about the proposed regulations and comment online at fwp.mt.gov.
2018-2019 Deer Hunting Seasons
Citizen proposal to make a portion of HD 103 a limited-draw buck permit area
2018-2019 Elk Hunting Seasons
Adopt elk season structure for the 43 hunting districts that had shoulder seasons in 2016 on an annual basis rather than biennial to facilitate evaluation of their efficacy and revisiting their adoption on a 3-year cycle.
Other areas for proposed regulations:
- 2018-2019 Antelope; Moose/Sheep/Goat/Bison and Bear/Lion/Wolf Hunting Seasons
- 2018-2019 Turkey/Upland Game Bird/Migratory Game Bird Hunting Seasons
- 2018-2019 Proposed Biennial Quotas, Hunting Season Dates, and Hunting District Boundary Changes– Proposed
- 2018-2019 Helena Urban Deer Plan Quotas 2018-2019 Game Damage/Management/Wildlife Health and Special CWD Hunt Quota Authorizations
For further clarification or additional materials, you may call the Wildlife Division office at 406-444-2612 or email email@example.com. Comments will be accepted online from the hunting homepage fwp.mt.gov/hunting/ under ‘Opportunity for Public Comment; in writing sent to the address above; and by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.